A Christian is one who has responded in faith to the call of God and has placed that faith in His son, Jesus Christ.
Here are some key Bible passages that a Christian should understand:
- Romans 3:23 – Everyone has sinned – missed the mark of God’s will for their life.
- Romans 6:23 – The result of sin is spiritual death, leading eventually to permanent separation from God, but God also offers eternal life as a free gift
- Romans 5:6 – When we were helpless, Christ died for our sins
- Ephesians 2:8 – The free gift of salvation comes through faith
- Romans 10:9 – If you profess your faith in Jesus as Lord, believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
Salvation involves two necessary steps. First, we must realize and acknowledge that we are separated from God and His will for our life. Second, we must repent – mentally turn from our self-directed way toward God and then begin to live by faith in obedience to Jesus Christ.
This can be done with a simple prayer offered in faith:
Dear God, I know I have fallen short of your will for my life, and I now know that Jesus died and was resurrected so that I can have a relationship with You, through Him. I ask for your forgiveness. I am willing to turn from my selfish ways and receive Jesus as my Savior and Lord. Thank you for saving me. Amen.
Of course, saying that prayer is not a magic phrase. If your response is not a true statement of faith, nothing has happened. However, if you were sincere – guess what? You’re a Christian!
If you have questions or wish to contact our Pastor, use the form below: